Do you want something meaty and tasty? And do you want to cook it quickly and bake it in the oven? Beef and pork meatloaf rushes to your aid!
Our Italian Easter with Ukrainian touch
Every year for Easter I try to cook something new, but some dishes have long been traditional for my family and without them, somehow, even a holiday is not a holiday – like an Easter basket without painted Easter eggs. And since we combine Ukrainian traditions with Italian ones, our Easter dishes are international too. Therefore, on Maundy Thursday morning I always knead the dough for Ukrainian Easter sweet bread (paska) and bake a traditional Italian cheesecake (pastiera). My husband makes homemade sausages and prepares his “favorite” chocolate liquor. And Saturday is the day of baking casatiello (traditional Neapolitan stuffed bread), Italian Colomba (Italian Easter cake), and granny’s bunny (that’s what we always call my grandmother Maria’s beef and pork meatloaf). All this happens in between making salads, appetizers, sandwiches, painting eggs, cleaning up, and other joyful pre-holiday chores. Today I’m going to share my grandma’s recipe. I have been loving this Ukrainian Easter meatloaf since my childhood and can eat a ton of it, both cold and hot. After we got married, I passed this gastronomic passion on to my Italian husband and his relatives too! It is simply impossible to pass by such a fragrant deliciousness indifferently. This beef and pork meatloaf is perfect at any time of year, but for some reason, it becomes special for Easter. Try it, and have a happy holiday season!
Ingredients for Ukrainian Easter meatloaf:
- ground meat: pork and beef
- salt and pepper
- ground raw onion
- minced cloves garlic
How to make beef and pork meatloaf
Put all the ingredients together
Mix everything very well with your hands (you can also use a food processor or a planetary mixer) and knead elastic “meat mixture”. It’s necessary to knead for about 15-20 minutes, beating the meat well. Then cover the ready mass with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for at least 3 hours
Form two meatloaves and place them on a baking tray covered with an oiled parchment
Generously spread a beaten egg over the meatloaves
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and bake the meatloaves for 40-50 minutes
How do you know when meatloaf is done?
To check readiness, lightly prick the meatloaf with a toothpick or fork – if the juices run clear it’s ready.
Enjoy it! Ukrainian Easter beef and pork meatloaf is delicious both cold and warm And the aroma of garlic … Mmmmm … it’s amazing…
Beef and pork meatloaf (Ukrainian Easter recipe)
- minced meat: 2 ¼ lbs (1 kg) pork + ⅔ pound of beef (300g)
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1 ground raw onion
- 5 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp semolina
- 8 tbsp milk
- Put all the ingredients together
- Mix everything very well with your hands (you can also use a food processor or a planetary mixer) and knead elastic “meat dough”. It’s necessary to knead for about 15-20 minutes, beating the meat well. Then cover the ready mass with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for at least 3 hours
- Form the “bunnies” and place them on a baking tray covered with an oiled parchment
- Generously spread a beaten egg over the “bunnies”
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) and bake the meatloaves for 40-50 minutes (to check readiness, lightly prick the “bunny” with a toothpick or fork – if the juices run clear the “bunny” is ready)