So, you’ve got some canned corn, and you are looking for some good corn recipes? I have a solution to your culinary dilemma – my healthy corn fritters recipe will pleasantly surprise you
How our healthy corn fritters recipe was born
“Mom, we want Mexican corn fritters for lunch,” said my children! “We saw them yesterday in a cooking show and they were sizzling so beautifully and smelled very good.” I didn’t know about the taste transfer function on our TV before… ah ah. The hungry imagination of my children is capable of anything… “Okay, I’ll make you the fritters”. “MEEEEEEEXICAN”, emphasized my elder son Alessio. Of course, neither I nor my children knew the recipe for corn fritters, so we followed the method of associations: Mexico = sweetcorn; flour, and milk = two classic ingredients for any pancakes and fritters. Well, fritters are good, but I wanted to make our corn fritters healthy. So we added grated cheese to the batter (thanks to it you can even add no salt, well, just a pinch maybe). Green herbs are great in a variety of dishes, and corn fritters with chives, basil, leeks, or parsley… it’s a miracle! They add brightness and a richer taste. To keep all that beauty together while frying, we added an egg. Our daddy was “used” as a taster. You will not believe, for us, it was love from the first bite! The sweetcorn fritters came out so crispy on the outside and soft and tender inside. The only problem is that you’ll want to eat them at once, so I highly recommend preparing a double or triple portion!
Ingredients for our healthy corn fritters
- canned sweet corn
- all-purpose flour
- an egg
- grated cheese
- chopped green herbs (you can use leeks, spring onions, chives, fresh basil, parsley)
- salt and pepper
- oil for frying
Healthy corn fritters step-by-step recipe
Beat the egg with a fork
Add flour, milk and mix well
Add the rest of the ingredients (if using leeks, then first fry it in some oil for 3-4 minutes), mix, and put the batter in the refrigerator for 15 minutes
Fry the corn fritters in oil (2 minutes for each side)
Enjoy your crispy corn fritters!
These fritters are very versatile
- they can be a new tasty addition to your lunch box;
- a quick and easy breakfast that your kids will like for sure;
- a snack for an evening party;
- a picnic food idea… the list is really endless!
What to serve with corn fritters
They are delicious on their own. But if you want some interesting company for these fritters, serve some fresh side salad or prepare a delicate Ranch dressing. Corn fritters with avocado salsa or Guacamole will be also great.
Are corn fritters healthy?
Well, it depends on what ingredients you use and how you cook them. To make corn fritters healthy I fry them just in a little oil to make them crispy (never cook them submerged in oil), avoid salt or add just a pinch of it, add a lot of green herbs and enjoy!
Can you freeze corn fritters?
Yes! Allow the ready fritters to cool completely, place them on a baking sheet in one layer, and freeze. Then transfer them to bags and store them in the freezer.
What else can I add to this healthy corn fritters recipe?
if your gourmet soul would like these corn fritters with new flavors, the flight of fancy, in this case, is unlimited:
- add some ham and you will have delicious ham and corn fritters;
- add a little of bacon and yummy corn and bacon fritters are ready to be eaten;
- corn and carrot fritters? No problem! Add one big carrot (peeled and finely grated) and the job is done.
Watch our video tutorial
Healthy corn fritters recipe
- 5 oz (150g) canned sweet corn
- 2 tbsp flour
- 5 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp grated cheese
- 3 tbsp chopped green herbs (you can use leeks, spring onions, chives, fresh basil, parsley )
- salt and pepper
- oil for frying
- Beat the egg with a fork
- Add flour, milk and mix well
- Add the rest of the ingredients (if using leeks, then first fry it in some oil for 3-4 minutes), mix, and put the batter in the refrigerator for 15 minutes
- Fry the pancakes in oil (2 minutes for each side)
- Enjoy you crispy corn fritters!