Would you like to prepare some tasty and healthy vegan dip? This Lebanese hummus recipe is an ideal solution. You will definitely like it
I have my favorite cupboard in the kitchen that is used as our home food pantry. And as soon as something runs out there, I immediately replenish my tasty “piggy bank”: rice, lentils, canned tuna and pearl barley disappear instantly. And the chickpeas run out even faster: I cook soups with them, add them to stews, salads, and prepare hummus at least once a week.
Are you dreaming of a yummy creamy vegan dip? Make Lebanese hummus!
Hummus is a big “love” in our house. It is not only healthy and tasty, but also extremely convenient! Imagine: you cooked a whole pot of soup, grilled meat, finally cut vegetables and made a salad from them, fed yourself and your family with these goodies, and then suddenly after an hour or two, the “something-to-eat-but-who-knows-what” mode turns on in your head. Your stomach says: “Wait, where should I find you more space for food”! But your legs persistently and confidently lead you to Him – the most popular kitchen gadget of all time – the Fridge! With both hands you dive into the search for something quick and yummy, and look for the answer to your don’t-know-what-I-want question on the cool fridge shelves. Your gaze stops on a piece of a creamy cake … no, not that … it was eaten only an hour ago for dessert… maybe I could finish half the tomato that’s left on the dish? No… somehow sad and uninteresting… Oh! Mozzarella, maybe I came here for her? Not sure … And then you understand what exactly you wanted – with a quick confident movement, you take out a rectangular tray of Lebanese hummus from the fridge, spread it on a slice of bread, or even better on a cracker or toast, and that’s it – let the whole world wait, because you found what your gourmet soul was looking for! Creamy tenderness, barely perceptible piquancy and lemon sourness on a bread pillow. After such a snack, the mood immediately becomes better, everything around is brighter and there is no limit to your pleasure! As the proverb says: “Be happy, eat Lebanese hummus”.
Ingredients for my favorite vegan dip:
- Dry chickpeas (soak the dried chickpeas in cold water overnight, then boil until tender) or ready-made canned chickpeas
- Oil (best sesame, but sunflower or olive will also be suitable)
- Salt (just a pinch)
- Fresh garlic
- Lemon juice
- Tahini (optional; I always prepare hummus without it, because no one in my family likes it except me)
Step-by-step Lebanese hummus recipe
Drain the cooked chickpeas and add the rest of the ingredients
Grind them with a blender to get the consistency of a cream paste
Add salt and delicious healthy vegan dip is ready! Bon appetit.
What is the best substitude for tahini in Lebanese hummus recipe?
If you don’t like Tahini you can make hummus without it as well. It’s delicious wihtout it too. But if you want to add that typical interesting note to this vegan dip recipe without using Tahini, you can substitute it with natural unsweetened peanut butter. Cashew butter or almond butter are another option.
What do I dip in hummus?
The list is really endless:
- raw veggies
- rice cakes
- a slice of bread
How long does homemade Lebanese hummus last?
Store it in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Homemade hummus can also be frozen (like that it will last up to 4 months).
Lebanese Hummus recipe (delicious vegan dip)
- A blender
- 3.5 oz (100 g) dry chickpeas (soak the dried chickpeas in cold water overnight, then boil until tender) or 10 oz (300 g) ready-made canned chickpeas
- 2 tbsp oil (best sesame, but sunflower or olive will also be suitable)
- a pinch of salt
- ½ clove of garlic
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Tahini (optional; I always prepare hummus without it, because no one in my family likes it except me)
- Drain the cooked chickpeas and add the rest of the ingredients
- Grind them with a blender to get the consistency of a cream paste
- Add salt and delicious and healthy hummus is ready.