Lemon shrimp risotto is the turmeric and parsley brightness, the shrimp tenderness, the paprika piquancy, the wine, and lemon freshness
As a child, I adored fairy tales, I reread some of them several times, having learned them by heart. I especially liked stories with a complicated plot, full of adventures (yes… I belong to that group of people who don’t look for simple ways in life ha-ha). I still remember well the title of one of my favorite fairy tales – “Go there, I don’t know where… bring that, I don’t know what.”
This title, like nothing else, perfectly reflects the desires that often revolve in my head. Do you happen to want terribly something, but you don’t know what? Well, it happens to me, and quite often… especially when it comes to food. This “I don’t know what I want” makes me go to the kitchen and look for something salty… or sweet… or salty and sweet all in one on the kitchen shelves or in the fridge… ha-ha.
Hearty and at the same time such a delicate lemon shrimp risotto
Fortunately, in some cases, there is an easy solution to the “I-don’t-know-what-I-want” dilemma.
Do you want anything:
- hearty, but without meat?
- spicy, but at the same time tender?
- sophisticated yet easy to cook?
- warming yet refreshing?
How can you combine such incongruous things in one dish? Don’t let doubts fill your thoughts. Everything is possible, and even very possible, if we are talking about lemon shrimp risotto!
A hearty meal without meat. When someone tells you about a hearty dish, what appears in your imagination? Maybe a hot thick soup with meat broth? Lasagna with juicy ragu and Bechamel sauce? Or maybe meatballs with mashed potatoes? What about the shrimp risotto? That’s right, the last dish is surprisingly satisfying, even though it is without meat.
Spicy and gentle at the same time. This combination is also possible when it comes to the lemon shrimp risotto. Paprika in no way covers the taste of other ingredients with its piquancy – it ennobles the taste; piquancy and tenderness here are two halves of one whole.
An exquisite but easy-to-prepare dish. Any Italian risotto is already exquisite. But only if it is prepared correctly and with love. What is risotto? It’s the right kind of rice (Carnaroli or Arborio will never let you down), a little patience and culinary passion – that’s all the magic. This dish is very easy to prepare, and the “Wow” effect is guaranteed.
Warming yet refreshing dish. This risotto is perfect for both summer heat and cold winter days. Lemon juice and zest add incredible freshness to the taste, and the shrimp combined with rice make the dish hearty and warming.
- Shrimp (I use frozen shrimp)
- Onions. I like the yellow and white ones in this lemon shrimp risotto recipe. Shallot is perfect as well.
- Rice. Carnaroli (for super creamy risotto) or Arborio (if you prefer a thicker and softer risotto)
- Turmeric. It’s responsible for the amazing bright yellow color
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Dry ground paprika (if you like smoked paprika, add it – the dish will be even tastier)
- Half a lemon (choose a big one, we are going to use its zest and juice)
- Chopped fresh parsley. You can use chives, basil and cilantro as a substitute for fresh parsley.
- White wine (it’s an optional ingredient, but it gives amazing taste notes to this lemon shrimp risotto)
- Butter. This ingredient is very important, it will make the dish amazingly creamy.
- Oil. I use olive oil, but feel free to use any vegetable oil of your choice
Lemon shrimp risotto recipe
Chop the onion and fry it slightly in 2Tbsp olive oil
Add shrimp to the onion (no need to defrost them beforehand, add them to the pan immediately). Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat
Add rice, stir and cook for 3 minutes
Add lemon juice and wine here. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the wine evaporates
Pour water over everything so that it only covers the rice (cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is ready, add more water if necessary)
When the rice is ready, add grated lemon zest, turmeric, paprika, salt, pepper, parsley and butter
Mix everything well and remove from heat. Bon Appetit!
What to serve with shrimp risotto
If you want to fully immerse yourself in the Italian atmosphere and enjoy the full taste of this risotto, serve it with a glass of good white wine, or even better Rosé wine – it will perfectly balance the taste and make your lunch or dinner unique.
Do you like Italian risotto? Try our purple risotto. It will pleasantly surprise you.
Lemon shrimp risotto
- 11 oz (300g) shrimp (frozen)
- 3 small onions or 1 large
- 2 cups (350g rice) Carnaroli or Arborio
- 1 tsp turmeric
- salt and pepper
- a pinch of dry ground paprika (if you like smoked paprika, add it - it will be even tastier)
- grated zest and juice of half a large lemon
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ glass white wine
- 1 ½ Tbsp (20g) butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Chop the onion and fry it slightly in 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Add shrimp to the onion (no need to defrost them beforehand, add them to the pan immediately). Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat
- Add rice, stir and cook for 3 minutes
- Add lemon juice and wine here. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the wine evaporates
- Pour water over everything so that it only covers the rice (cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is ready, add more water if necessary)
- When the rice is ready, add grated lemon zest, turmeric, paprika, salt, pepper, parsley and butter
- Mix everything well and remove from heat.