Looking for quick and easy recipes with canned corn? These healthy corn fritters or corn cakes with cheese will pleasantly surprise you
These healthy corn fritters are the result of my endless culinary experiments and the perfect proof that a fantastic quick snack can be made from scratch.
Recipes with canned corn are always a guaranteed success. You can make a wonderful salad out of it, you can add it to soup, you can just eat it with a spoon straight from the jar (I do this often …) and you can also prepare these crispy healthy corn fritters.
How our healthy corn fritters recipe appeared
“Mom, we want Mexican corn cakes with cheese for lunch,” said my children! “We saw them yesterday in a cooking show and they were sizzling so beautifully and smelled very good…”
Well… I didn’t know about the smell transfer function on our TV before… LOL. The hungry imagination of my children is capable of anything… “Okay, I’ll make you the fritters”. “MEEEEEEEXICAN”, emphasized my elder son Alessio.
Of course, neither I nor my children knew the corn cakes with cheese recipe, so we followed the method of associations:
Mexico = sweetcorn; flour, and milk = two classic ingredients for any pancakes and fried cakes.
Yes, sweetcorn fritters are good without a doubt, but I wanted to make our corn fritters healthy. For this reason, we added grated cheese to the batter (thanks to it you can even add no salt, well, just a pinch maybe). Green herbs are great in a variety of dishes, and corn cakes with chives, basil, leeks, or parsley… it’s a miracle! They add brightness and a richer taste. And finally, to keep all that beauty together while frying, we added an egg.
Our daddy was “used” as a taster. You will not believe… for us, it was love from the first bite! Our healthy corn fritters came out amazingly crispy on the outside and soft and tender inside! The only problem is that you’ll want to eat them at once… yes, you’ll want these corn cakes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! So I highly recommend preparing a double or triple portion! Moreover, the recipe is amazingly quick and easy.
These sweet corn fritters are very versatile
- a new tasty addition to your lunch box;
- a quick and easy breakfast that your kids will like for sure;
- a snack for an evening party;
- a picnic food idea… the list is really endless!
What to serve with this snack
These healthy corn fritters are delicious on their own. But if you want, serve them with:
- any fresh side salad
- a delicate Ranch dressing
- corn cakes with cheese dipped in avocado salsa or Guacamole will be also great
- sour cream
- yogurt (a combination of yogurt and sweetcorn fritters is simple and ingenious at the same time)
- any sauce to your taste (mayonnaise and ketchup are also suitable)
This recipe calls for canned corn. Canned corn does not depend on the season, so this is an additional bonus – you can easily make healthy corn fritters at any time, and not just in those few weeks when fresh corn pleases us with its presence.
I use peanut or extra virgin olive oil for pan-frying. But you can use any vegetable oil of your choice.
- 5 oz (150g) canned sweetcorn
- 2Tbsp flour (all-purpose flour is perfect for this recipe)
- 3 ½ Tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ Tbsp grated cheese (choose one that melts well)
- 3 Tbsp chopped green herbs (you can use leeks, spring onions, chives, fresh basil, parsley )
- salt and pepper
- oil for frying
How to make healthy corn fritters
Beat the egg with a fork
Add flour, milk and mix well
Add the rest of the ingredients (if using leeks, then first fry it in some oil for 3-4 minutes), mix, and put the batter in the refrigerator for 15 minutes
Fry the cakes in oil (2 minutes for each side)
Enjoy these crispy corn fritters!
Put the ready fried cakes in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days. Preheat them in the oven for a few minutes before serving.
This quick snack tastes best while still hot, right out of the pan. But, if desired, healthy corn fritters can also be frozen. Let them cool completely, place them on a baking sheet in one layer, and freeze. Then transfer them to plastic bags and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Well, it depends on what ingredients you use and how you cook them. To make these fried cakes healthier I fry them just in a little oil to make them crispy (never cook them submerged in oil), avoid salt or add just a pinch of it, add a lot of green herbs and enjoy!
If your gourmet soul would like these fried cakes with new flavors, the flight of fancy, in this case, is unlimited:
· add some ham and you will have a delicious snack;
· add a little of bacon and yummy fried cakes are ready to be eaten;
· can I add carrots to this recipe? No problem! Add one big carrot (peeled and finely grated) and the job is done.
Let this healthy corn fritters recipe inspire you to new culinary experiments.
Watch our video tutorial
Healthy corn fritters recipe (corn cakes with cheese)
- 5 oz (150g) canned sweet corn
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 ½ tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tbsp grated cheese
- 3 tbsp chopped green herbs (you can use leeks, spring onions, chives, fresh basil, parsley )
- salt and pepper
- oil for frying
- Beat the egg with a fork
- Add flour, milk and mix well
- Add the rest of the ingredients (if using leeks, then first fry it in some oil for 3-4 minutes), mix, and put the batter in the refrigerator for 15 minutes
- Fry the pancakes in oil (2 minutes for each side)
- Enjoy you crispy corn fritters!