All sweet tooths know what a moist apple sponge cake is. Use this easy sharlotka recipe to make the best 6 ingredient apple dessert
This cinnamon apple sharlotka is the Queen of apple pies. Sponge dough is so airy and soft that it just melts in your mouth, and apples and cinnamon after baking become even more fragrant. To put it in a few words – this Ukrainian apple sponge cake without exaggeration is a real heavenly delight.
This sharlotka recipe, in general, has only advantages:
- this easy 6 ingredient apple dessert will save you when you need to quickly prepare a delicious sweet treat from scratch
- if you’ve never baked sweet pies yourself, the quick and easy sharlotka recipe is just perfect for this occasion. All you have to do is beat all the batter ingredients together (with a mixer or whisk), add the fruit and cinnamon and mix. Pour the mixture into a cake pan, and then the oven will do the rest
- apples are available all year round, therefore this easy apple dessert does not depend on the season. You can easily bake it both in summer and winter
Sometimes (very often in my case… LOL…) there are moments when you want something sweet, tasty, soft (but preferably with a crispy crust), fruity, and if possible this “beauty” should be prepared out of nothing! Well, almost out of nothing – out of something that usually “lives” in every fridge and on every kitchen shelf.
If you are not alien to such a whim, I’m here with great news! Are there two or three ripe Golden Delicious or Granny Smith in your house? That’s already great! Take a cup of flour and sugar, 2 tablespoons of good mood, and a pinch of free time. Add just a little effort and you will have the most delicious Ukrainian apple sponge cake (Sharlotka).
What is sharlotka with apple filling?
Sharlotka with apples is the easiest and most delicious apple sponge cake that literally melts in your mouth, and this dessert is prepared very quickly with just 6 ingredients! By the way, this recipe is without butter!
This easy moist sponge cake with apple filling has been very popular in many slavic countries for centuries, and many people consider sharlotka their national recipe.
Only don’t confuse it with Polish Szarlotka – this cake is quite different. Polish sharlotka is a mix between a cake and a pie, it’s made with shortcrust pastry and crumble topping.
I always add cinnamon to this cake. Cinnamon and apples are a fantastic pair! I haven’t seen the best combination yet. You can add apples of different varieties together, then the taste picture will be even richer.
Sharlotka with apples has been “living” in my cookbook for many years… moreover, this 6 ingredient recipe appeared even before I was born in my grandmother’s cookbook. Over the years, we have baked, tested and tasted so many different fruit pies, but this Ukrainian apple sponge cake always comes first. It’s the taste of my childhood.
Useful tips for perfect Sharlotka with apples
This apple dessert does not require any special culinary skills. However, follow a few simple rules for the best result:
- eggs should be at room temperature (remove them from the fridge at least 15 minutes before making the batter)
- baking time depends a lot on your oven (during my culinary adventures I was lucky enough to bake in many ovens and I can confidently say that all ovens are different, each has its own character – at the same temperature, one oven will bake fruit pie faster, and the other will take 5-10 minutes more). Be sure to check the readiness of sharlotka with a toothpick
- the amount of cinnamon in this recipe depends on your preferences. I love this spice, so I add a whole tablespoon. Cinnamon apple sponge cake is a double taste and aroma
- any variety of apples is suitable for this apple dessert: Golden Delicious, Gala, Fuji, Granny Smith… be sure to choose sweet and ripe ones
- don’t forget to grease the baking dish with butter and sprinkle it with flour before pouring the batter into it. As for the baking tray… any good non-stick pan will do: round, square, rectangular, even triangular; silicone or metal. I often bake this sweet pie in a springform pan. Sharlotka with apples and cinnamon easily adapts to any baking pan. When the cake is ready, let it cool and then take a thin spatula around the edges to help it loosen – this will make it easier to remove the cake out of the baking form
(my baking dish is 9 inches (22cm) in diameter):
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour. Use simple all-purpose flour
- 1tsp (rounded) baking powder
- 3 large apples. Choose large ones, more fruit = more taste
- 1Tbsp cinnamon. It’s optional in this recipe, but it will make sharlotka taste like heaven
How to make this easy apple sponge cake
Beat eggs with sugar (it’s very important to beat them well)
Add flour and baking powder. Mix well
Cut the fruit into cubes. Add cinnamon if you like it, I love cinnamon and always add it to this pie, it enriches the flavor so much!
Add the apples to the flour-and-eggs mixture, mix well, and pour the batter into the baking dish (don’t forget to grease it with some butter and sprinkle with flour)
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and bake the cake for 1 hour (check readiness with a toothpick). Enjoy sharlotka with a cup of tea
You can use baking soda and vinegar instead (Ukrainians and Russians use this mixture more often than baking powder). Add ½ tsp baking soda and ½ tsp white vinegar (or lemon juice) straight to the batter (don’t be afraid if your batter will look like a small volcano, it’s normal – that’s how carbon dioxide is formed), but the reaction won’t last forever, so once both vinegar (or lemon juice) and baking soda are added to the batter, stir well and quickly put this apple sponge cake in the oven.
You can store it in an airtight container (at room temperature) for up to 5 days… if you resist and don’t eat it much earlier.
Dust the top of sharlotka with powdered sugar. Serve this moist apple sponge cake with tea or coffee. Bon appetit!
watch the video recipe
Sharlotka (Ukrainian apple sponge cake recipe)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp (rounded) baking powder
- 3 big apples
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- Beat eggs with sugar
- Add flour and baking powder. Mix well
- Cut the apples into cubes. If you like cinnamon sprinkle it on the apples, I love cinnamon and always add it to this pie, it enriches the flavor so much!
- Add the apples to the flour-and-eggs mixture, mix well, and pour the dough into the baking dish (don’t forget to grease it with some butter and sprinkle with flour)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and bake the pie for 1 hour (check readiness with a toothpick).