This Ukrainian salad with egg and chives takes pride of place in my culinary collection. I love it infinitely
Ukrainian salad tradition
Somehow, traditionally, there are always salads on our Easter table. Many different salads! (I guess it’s my Ukrainian gourmet soul that manifests itself in this way). In Ukraine, no holiday feast is complete without salads.
And even more than 10 years of living in Italy have not abolished this culinary tradition of mine.
My family hardly ever eats salads with mayonnaise. We have long been used to salads seasoned with oil. But we always make an exception for my mother’s egg and chives salad – my husband just loves it! Once we were at my parents’ house in my native town of Ternopil for Easter, and this Ukrainian salad was on the table, Roberto not only finished it all, but he asked my mother to prepare it again the next day. We have been making it since then, traditionally every year for Easter. This egg and chives salad is extremely easy to prepare, fresh and colorful, though it is rather high in calories. Well, once a year for a holiday you can (in this way my husband justifies himself and in the case of this salad he is absolutely right. I am happy to share this recipe with all salads with mayonnaise lovers.
Ingredients for Ukrainian salad with mayonnaise:
- hard boiled eggs
- fresh chives
- cheese like Emmentaler, Cheddar, Fontina, Gouda or some other of your choice
- butter (cold and solid from the fridge)
How to make egg and chives salad
Generously spread mayonnaise on the bottom of a wide flat plate
Place boiled eggs (grated on a fine grater) on top of mayonnaise
Put chopped chives on top of the eggs
Put coarsely grated cheese on top of the chives
Then remove the cold butter out of the fridge and grate it (on a coarse grater) on top of the salad. There is no need to salt it
Delicious cheese and egg salad is ready
Serve it immediately, or store it in the fridge before serving. Bon appetite!
Ukrainian salad with egg and chives
- mayonnaise (approximately 6 Tbsp)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (100 g) cheese like Emmentaler, Cheddar, Fontina, Gouda or some other of your choice
- 5 Tbsp (50-70 g) butter (cold and solid from the fridge)
- Generously spread mayonnaise on the bottom of a wide flat plate
- Place boiled eggs (grated on a fine grater) on top of mayonnaise
- Put chopped chives on top of the eggs
- Put coarsely grated cheese on top of the chives
- Then remove the cold butter out of the fridge and grate it (on a coarse grater) on top of the salad. There is no need to salt it