This vegan carrot salad with mushrooms and peas is a favorite classic for many Ukrainians. It seems simple, but its taste is incredibly rich
“Dear cooking magazine staff, we really liked your recipe for bamboo and scallops salad. We didn’t have bamboo, so we replaced it with boiled potatoes, and instead of scallops we added sautéed onions, but in general we really liked your salad recipe.”.. ha-ha… Have you ever been in the same situation?
Some recipes are so exotic that you almost have to fly to another planet to buy some ingredients!
I love the exotic, but in everyday life I prefer simple recipes from available ingredients.
Someone once said that everything ingenious is simple… but with taste. It also has a lot to do with food.
Today I will tell you about one of the simplest and at the same time really ingenious Ukrainian vegan carrot salad
- its simplicity is in its ingredients (as a rule, you can find them in every kitchen and you don’t need to look for them running around all the supermarkets in your city and two more neighboring ones);
- its simplicity is in its preparation – this dish is prepared so quickly that you won’t have time to look back as a ready-made cooked carrot salad with mushrooms and peas will be on your table, and all that is required of you is the ability to skillfully open cans of canned peas and pickled mushrooms … well, you’ll also need to cook carrots, sauté onions and pass a clove of garlic through the press.
This salad doesn’t have any exotic name…
.. at home we call it simply – vegan carrot salad with mushrooms and peas. There are also sautéed onions in the ingredients, but then the name of the salad would be too long… ha-ha… Although, you know, this salad is not at all upset due to the lack of an elegant name, it does not get depressed and it confidently remains one of my family’s favorites. I cook it at any time of the year, and it is also invariably one of the 12 meatless dishes for our traditional Ukrainian Christmas Eve dinner. We have had such a tradition at home since I can remember, and for at least the next 200 years I don’t intend to change this custom.
I really like carrot salads, and I also like mushrooms and peas… and sautéed onions. And if you combine it all together, season with oil, sprinkle with pepper and salt, you will get such a yummy that you will definitely want to eat it again and again!
My grandma and mom always boil carrots, and then rub them on a coarse grater. I wanted to make this salad even healthier and modernize its “look” a little – that’s why I add sliced steamed carrots.
I strongly advise, no, I even insist – prepare this Ukrainian vegan carrots salad with mushrooms and peas, you will not regret it.
You can serve it both cold and warm; as a cold or warm carrot salad or as a vegetable side dish.
This carrot salad easily adapts to any changes and modifications to your taste and preferences
- you can substitute oil for mayonnaise as a dressing. This will no longer be a vegan carrot salad and, of course, it will turn out to be more caloric, but no less tasty and original
- do you want to make the taste even more interesting? Instead of the usual onion , add some sautéed leeks
- add chopped chives or parsley for freshness
- you can use fresh or frozen peas instead of canned ones (boil them until tender in salted water)
And who said that this kind of cooked carrot salad isn’t elegant? Don’t listen, because it’s not true at all – you can proudly serve it to guests and I assure you, it will be one of the first dishes that will disappear from the table… and the guests will certainly ask you for a recipe. And this will definitely make you happier and add inspiration for new culinary achievements! This is a kind of logical chain from a simple salad to a good mood.
Carrots. Choose the medium – sized ones, they taste sweeter.
Onion (shallots and yellow onions are the best for this salad)
Garlic (1 clove)
Pickled mushrooms. You can use any type of pickled mushrooms (you can also use marinated mushrooms for this salad)
Canned peas (the can be substituted for fresh or frozen peas)
Oil (use any vegetable oil of your choice)
Salt and black pepper
Ukrainian carrot salad recipe
Peel the carrots, cut them into not very thick slices and cook in a steamer (or boil them and then grate them on a coarse grater or cut them into slices)
Chopped onions and sauté them in oil
Put together carrots, onions, mushrooms, garlic clove (passed through the press) and peas. Season everything with salt, pepper and pour some oil. Mix
I told you that the recipe is extremely simple! And now take a fork and plunge into the world of exquisite taste. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.
Vegan carrot salad with mushrooms and peas
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 7 oz (200g) pickled mushrooms
- 5 oz (150g) canned peas
- vegetable oil
- salt, pepper
- Peel the carrots, cut them into not very thick slices and cook in a steamer (or boil them and then grate them on a coarse grater or cut them into slices)
- Chopped onions and sauté them in oil
- Put together carrots, onions, mushrooms, garlic clove (passed through the press) and peas. Season everything with salt, pepper and pour some oil. Mix